Saturday, April 4, 2009

Lil' Red Riding Hood and the Dumb-Lookin' Wolf

I don't know about you, but I love dumb, goofy villains. One of my absolute favorite animated movies is Disney's The Emperor's New Groove (anyone with me?). Evil villains are fun, but they're all - well, evil - and it's good to have something different once in a while. I've wanted to retell a fairy tale for some time now, and I decided to do a more mellow version of Little Red Riding Hood. Here's what I came up with:

Lil' Red is taking a picnic basket to grandma's house, complete with strawberries, sandwiches, apples, grapes, and even a chicken leg (my husband & daughter thought that idea was cute), when a dumb wolf sticks his head out of the bushes. Putting myself in Lil' Red's shoes, I really couldn't decide what's better - an evil, hungry wolf stalking me, or a dumb, unpredictable one. =) The final is about 24" x 36", so it's a huge file. These size files are just exhausting to work with. I spent over 25 hours on the final art of this piece alone - that doesn't include sketching, inking, or scanning time. 

Currently I am working on several projects, and keeping busy with work for licensing, so  I'll have more to show soon. =)

Marshmallows on Fire
I wanted to add a short clip that I'd created while taking a Maya animation class in 2006. I had it on my website briefly when I first started my business, then took it down and kind of forgot about it for a while. Found it the other week and decided it should be seen, so I decided to put it on my blog. It's really cute and I'm happy to say, I got a high grade for it back in the day. I hope you enjoy it!







Thanks for dropping by today. As always, I look forward to any comments you may have. If you need any information about licensing an image, please don't hesitate to contact me. I hope you have a creative week!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, I really like the Lil Red Riding Hood illo!!!

I really like the composition and how she is in the foreground....

Los Angeles said...

Great work,
Really appreciable.