Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Still Evolving

For those who don't know, I started drawing Seacats when I was nine. They are over 20 years old, and I'm um ... barely any older.

I drew Seacats on everything. I drew them in grade school. I drew them in middle school, I drew them in high school. I drew them in class, I drew them in journals, I drew them in year books, I drew them on my hands. And other kids were still so impressed they asked if I drew or traced them.

Yeah, I used a pencil to trace this onto my hand. Okay....

I lied, I don't usually draw with a pencil. Ink, baby, ink.

Luckily, as an adult I'm never asked that silly question. Like I can imagine some art director for XYZ Publishers calling me up — "Hi, is this Chrissy? I'm looking for an artist and I saw your portfolio online. Did you really draw that, or did you trace it?"

Yeah, that would never happen. At least, it hasn't, after nearly a decade in business.

Anyway. I drew them. I painted them. I etched them. I watercolored them. My dad still has a room full of my old Seacat stuff.

They look really different now. More professional for sure. But they're still the same, really.

I'm working on some new Seacat projects. I thought I'd share some line art here. I'm trying to get Izzy Bell to complement Timmy just a bit more. Very minor changes, but they're still there. They're pretty close, but still evolving. You can see their evolution here and follow them on Facebook here.

No comments: